Mobile Food Unit Permits

Provided below is an outline of the process to obtain a mobile food unit in the City of Pella. Applications must be submitted at least five business days before your requested date to begin operation.

Prior to applying, fully review our Mobile Food Unit Ordinance (PDF). Potential mobile food vendors should be aware of the following:

  • Selling must occur on private, not public, property
  • Selling can only occur in the following zoning districts:
    • Commercial (CBD, CUC, CC, CPD)
    • Industrial (M1, M2)
    • Institutional (INS)
  • If selling in a parking lot, the business’ off-street parking requirements must not be reduced below the required number of spaces

Step 1: Complete the application online. When an application is submitted, it must include a premise permit (PDF) which must be completed and signed by the property owner of the location the mobile food unit is requesting to operate at. Following review of the application, the applicant will be contacted by the Planning and Zoning Department. 

Step 2: Mobile food units applying to operate in the Central Business District (CBD) or commercially zoned parcels abutting Washington Street (see map at for details) must undergo a design review from the Community Development Committee for the vehicle/structure used to facilitate sales. Mobile food units that operate in these locations for more than 30 days per calendar year are required to have a Dutch theme. To discuss design requirements, contact the Planning and Zoning Department at 641.628.0043.

Step 3: Upon approval, the actual permit is paid for and issued by the Planning and Zoning Department. The cost is as follows:

  • Daily permit: $25
  • Weekly permit: $75
  • Monthly permit: $150
  • Seasonal permit (up to six consecutive months): $300


Mobile Food Unit Application

Premise Permit Application (PDF)

Mobile Food Unit Ordinance (PDF)