The Heritage Room is an inviting place at the Pella Public Library to do research into Pella's, and your own family's, past. With a large collection of local history, yearbooks and more, it is a quiet room with big tables perfect for spreading out reference books, maps and other resources. Collections such as family histories, and a growing selection of Dutch Language books are located here.
- City of Pella Information: Budget and city council agenda, zoning , codes, ordinances, housing and airport studies, and planning information. There are also city directories/phone books dating back to 1973.
- Dutch Language Collection: Located on the south wall, Dutch Language books that have a library label on the spine may be removed from the Heritage Room and checked out.
- Family Histories: These are contained in binders and books with a call number of 929.2 and in folders in the vertical files. A Family History index card catalog indicates whether a history is in the vertical file or on a shelf.
- Genealogy: General genealogy resources, plus ones specific to Marion County, Iowa and Dutch ancestry.
- History: History of Dutch names, Pella history, Pella's founder, Dutch immigration to US, births, deaths and cemeteries in Marion county, ship passenger manifests listing Dutch immigrants, history of Netherlands.
- Maps: A variety of historical maps are available in the map drawer just outside the Heritage Room.
- Microfilm Machine: This machine is available to look at copies of The Chronicle and Marion County Courthouse records, as well as Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps.
- Obituaries/Death Notice Cards: There are binders with obituaries of local deaths, as well as the Death Notice Cards distributed by funeral homes.
- Tulip Time: Two vertical file drawers are devoted to materials and the history of Tulip Time.
- What's New In The Heritage Room
- Vertical Files: Loose-leaf collections of information on nearly 300 individuals and families are available in our Genealogical Vertical Files. View the highlights of some of these files (PDF).
- Yearbooks: There are copies of Pella Community and Pella Christian High School, and Central College yearbooks.